Because He was a German! by Jerome-Michael Vereb
Note: This is a clearance product and may have some minor imperfections. For information on a particular product, please call us or come to the store in person.
- Hardcover: 360 pages
- Publisher: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. (April 14 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 080282885X
- ISBN-13: 978-0802828859
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 15.9 x 23.5 cm
- Shipping Weight: 680 g
- Because He Was a German! describes the dramatic process that led to the Vatican Secretariat for Promoting Christian Unity, and the definitive commitment of the Roman Catholic Church to the universal ecumenical movement. It gives insightful profiles of the principal actors in this ecumenical drama -- Pope John XXIII, Cardinal Lorenz Jaeger of Paderborn, Germany, and Cardinal Augustin Bea, S.J. -- in the political, social, and theological ambivalence of a postwar divided Germany. It also provides insight into the negotiations that paved the way for the unprecedented ecumenical openness of Vatican II.
- An engaging story, Because He Was a German! opens a window into the events that have shaped the modern Catholic Church and highlights the context shaping the theological development of Pope Benedict XVI.
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Church History > Ecumenical Movements
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Ecumenism
- Christian Books & Bibles > Catholicism > Church History